Veľká Lesná
   Text    Map    Google Map

    It is a rural village (in past it was called Richvald) situated in the valley of the Lesniansky potok (Lesniansky Creek), which flows deeply into the massif of the Spišská Magura mountains. It was founded at the beginning of the 14-th century by the Gorgey family. Later it became property of the Červený Kláštor (Red Monastery).
    Family houses (built in a chain next to each other) kept its original names, such as: Dox, Hranica, Kamenec, Krišákov mlyn, Krivuľa, Podhora, Podrina, Vyslanka, Zadok). Its folk architecture is still very well preserved. People often use the traditional language.
    Locals worked as farmers, kept animals and produced vegetables. Allegedly they were the first people who grew potatoes in the Spiš region. Significant amount of food they usually gained from woods. By the end of the 18-th century a glass producing smeltery arose in the village. Very hard living conditions were the reason why a lot of people moved out of the region in 1880 - 1910. Even today most of the people work as farmers. Good relations with the Zamagurie region and the Poprad basin offer working facilities in the surroundings. Despite this fact, there are still more people who move out than those who move in.
    In the village there is a gothic Roman-Catholic church from the beginning of the 14-th century. Later it was rebuilt and some renaissance wall-paintings were added. An old lime grows right next to the church building.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy